The coronavirus pandemic brings with it a huge number of challenges to us all in terms of business continuity and ensuring that employees are paid accurately and on time. This will mean that for the immediate future, we will all need to play a part in working differently in order to maintain our business as usual activities as far as is possible.
Therefore with immediate effect, please can you ensure that the following working practices are noted and shared within your schools:
It is hoped that by implementing the above process changes, we will be able to continue our service provision with minimal disruption. Your participation in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Please can you cascade to your employee’s as much as possible.
Our service offers a complete payroll and pension administration function capturing all areas of payroll and pension including monthly payroll processing, auto enrolment regulations introduced from the 1st October 2012 and RTI (Real Time Information).
As part of the buy back we will reconcile and submit both monthly and year end financial returns to both Local Government Pension scheme and Teacher’s Pension scheme. Through Real Time Information we are compliant with all HMRC legislation and update all pensions’ schemes and NJC T&Cs through the payroll accordingly.
The payroll service will issue a payroll timetable for pay claims and variations and confirmation of payroll deadlines annually, this link will be updated each year;
Payroll Timetable 2022-2023 (Please note these are payroll deadlines ONLY! - For recruitment deadlines please click here).
Pay Awards 2021/22
A 1.75% pay increase for local government employees (NJC/Non-Teaching) was agreed with unions on 28 February this year, meaning that affected staff members will see the award in their pay on the 28 March 2022. This will be backdated to 1 April 2021.
If you have a question regarding the pay award, please visit the FAQs in the first instance, which are available here.
If you have a query related to the pay award you are advised to discuss it with your school business manager. For additional support please contact HR by emailing email@example.com. You will need to provide full details of your query (see the FAQs for more information).
HR aim to provide a response to queries within 2 working days.
Please do not contact the payroll team directly - If you do not receive a response within 2 working days you can contact HR on 01922 653737
Please find the NJC and Teacher's Pay scales on the below link, this will be updated with all effective changes, as applicable;
NJC 2021-22 (Schools who adopted WMBC Single Status)
NJC 2021-22 (Schools who did not adopt WMBC Single Status)
Teacher Pay Scales 2020 - 2021
Teacher TLR and SEN Rates 2020 - 2021
To obtain access to Squirrel Mail, we continue to use this web mail provision for the submission of monthly time sheets, Staffing Structures, absence reports and Teacher's Pay statements
Below you will find guidance on how to complete the overtime spreadsheet, this includes a breakdown of what elements to use and when, in what format the spreadsheet needs to be returned in and general tips.
Overtime Spreadsheet - tips and guidance
If you have any problems logging into Squirrel Mail please contact the Payroll and Pension team on 01922 655660.
The "Green Book"
The link for the National Joint Council for Local Government Services - National Agreement on Pay and Conditions of service document can be accessed by clicking the following link.
The "Green Book"
Walsall Council Employee Benefits
Walsall Council has chosen Cyclescheme as their third-party scheme administrator, who use independent, local bike shops. Employees can buy a bike from any shop which is Cyclescheme registered. Visit the cyclescheme website and enter your post code to find your local partner stores.
How do I sign up?
- Visit one of over 1,000 participating bike shops to select the bike and equipment that you want. (Visit the cyclescheme website and enter your postcode in the box on the right to find your nearest partner stores).
- Once you’ve found the bike you want, the cycle shop will give you a paper quote, and you can use Cyclescheme's online tool to apply for your chosen package by entering the details online and requesting a secure voucher. Staff without internet access can use the Cyclescheme helpline to make their application on telephone 0844 879 5101.
- Once you have requested a secure voucher, Human Resources confirms eligibility and approves the request. Cyclescheme will send them an invoice for the bike package, and a hire agreement is sent to you to sign. As soon as the bike is paid for, the secure voucher is sent to you.
- Your hire payments are deducted from your gross monthly salary. At the end of the hire period your employer has the option to offer the bike to you. If you want the bike you pay a Fair Market Value payment to own it outright.
- You contact your chosen bike shop to arrange collection. You'll be asked for photographic ID when collecting the bike and equipment.
Are there any conditions?
Under government legislation the employer run Childcare Voucher scheme will now close from 4th October 2018, the date by which the first payment must have been taken. Employees who wish to join the scheme must have registered prior to 31st August in order to make their first payment in time. After this date no new registrations will be accepted.
Existing members who do not have a current payment may restart up to 12 months following their last payment, after which they will cease to be eligible for the employer scheme.
For more information contact our supplier directly at www.computersharevoucherservices.com or by telephone on 0845 002 1111 quoting scheme reference 42390
Change in Legislation
The scheme is changing and employer arranged vouchers will be replaced by a new government scheme for Tax Free Childcare. No new members will be accepted once the end date is confirmed. Originally this was to have been April 2018 but it was delayed by Parliament until 6th September, meaning anyone wishing to join the scheme must have signed up by 31st July 2018.
Existing membership will continue until eligibility ceases on one of the four following grounds:
- They change employer
- Their child reached its 15th birthday (16 if disabled)
- They do not receive childcare vouchers within a 12 month period
- They voluntarily end the scheme and open up a TFC account with National Savings & Investments
Further information can be found on the HMRC website at https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/childcare-vouchers or on the government advice site at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/
If you require any assistance/ information or guidance for Payroll and Pension services please contact ;
Teachers Pay Scales 2019-2020
Teacher Pay Scales 2019-2020
NJC 2019-20 (Schools who adopted WMBC Single Status)
NJC 2019-20 (Schools who did not adopt WMBC Single Status)
Teacher Pay Scales 2018-2019
Overtime Spreadsheet - tips and guidance.docx