Training and advisory service includes:
Core Training Programme - delivered online via Zoom or MS Teams, please refer to the training programme for the full range of courses available.
Governors’ induction package – includes an induction pack for all new governors, face to face sessions and extended online support for the first 12 months; followed by the Developing Governor Skills course which is designed to expand on key skills governors need to ensure they are effective in their role.
Monthly Webinars and Fortnightly Updates - These provide local and national updates on developments in governance, issues that affect their role, changes in regulation and guidance. They also include key tasks for governing bodies as well as providing updates from other service areas within the council. Schools are provided with template core agendas and reports outlining priorities that need to be covered during the term. These sesions provide an excellent opportunity for Chairs and Clerks to network and share good practice on the work they have been doing in their schools.
Advisory Service – access to expert and reliable telephone and email advice including legal obligations, core functions and recommended good practice.
Standard NGA membership – for the governing body, which includes:
- Copies of Governing Matters magazine, published six times a year, to the home of three governors and to the school.
- A weekly e-newsletter during term time featuring the latest education news and policy updates.
- Access to members’ only content in the online guidance Centre containing a wealth of governance resources.
- NGA guides available at a discounted price.
- A free place at NGA member events and conferences.
E-Learning (Learning Link) – access to e-learning through the Learning Link.
This package has been developed in partnership with Governance practitioners; its focus is on supporting Governors, Clerks and School Leaders to achieve ‘Effective School Governance’ and will drive school improvement to secure outcomes for children and young people. Governors will have access to over 50 modules.
Modules include: Governance: Your role, your responsibilities, your organisation, Progress and attainment: using data to improve educational outcomes, Key Functions of the Governing Body,
Exclusions, Understanding Schools Finance, Ofsted Inspection of Schools and many more.
Support to recruit new governors – having the right people around the table is vital to build an effective governing body. We help find volunteers through local contacts and work alongside the national governor recruitment services.
Bespoke full governing body/Cluster based training is available on request and additional charges apply for this service.
The Governance Services Team will work with schools to provide a bespoke development training session. As part of the service the Governance Services Team will:
- Identify key areas of development for governing boards and governor cluster groups to strengthen governance and assist strategic working.
- Design a bespoke development session or programme of sessions to agreed specifications.
- Deliver the session(s) at a mutually convenient time, date and venue.
- Invite all attendees to the session(s) via email or letter.
- Provide a pack of materials and handouts for each attendee to facilitate their learning.
- Evaluate the session to ensure that objectives have been met and to quality assure the provision.
To view pricing please refer to our Traded Services Booklet 2022-23
Please contact the Governance Services Team for further details.
NB: schools buying into the training service level agreement are entitled to one free ‘in-school’ training session, which can be used to their advantage as a credit towards a cluster training session, providing all schools attending the session buy into the training and advisory service level agreement.